Last Updated on May 31, 2021
To be a ghost hunter, you need some essential pieces of equipment. This includes an EMF meter to help you detect ghosts before you can see or hear them. Keep reading to find out what an EMF is, why it’s relevant to ghost hunting, and the best EMF Meters you can own!
What is an EMF?
EMF stands for electric and magnetic fields. Basically, this is an invisible energy that you don’t really notice. This energy is also called radiation and can come from a bunch of different things.
The energy that an object radiates is measured on the electromagnetic spectrum, with low frequency not being very harmful and high frequency being harmful. Low frequency would be things like power lines, your phone, and your microwave. High frequency would be actual radioactive waste, x-rays, and UV radiation (like a tanning booth).
Ghosts and EMF
This is all great to know, but how does it relate to ghosts? There are theories stating that ghosts can manipulate this energy. Professor McFadden from the University of Surrey says that “the conscious mind consists of an electromagnetic field, a field that does not disintegrate when we die”. By this logic, ghosts still have this electromagnetic field which can be detected with an EMF meter.
Using an EMF meter to detect ghosts helps prove they are real using these scientific principles. This makes the meters very popular in ghost hunting shows.
When you use an EMF meter, you should always take a base reading. By this I mean, check out what your meter displays around the area where there is no paranormal activity. When you are using the meter for investigation, take note of any huge spikes. It’s okay to pay attention to the little spikes but remember that these may just be naturally occurring.
Now that you know what an EMF meter is, and how it applies to ghosts, let’s look at the best meters you can buy! Don’t forget, there are also EMF meter apps for your phone, so if you don’t want to purchase a separate piece of equipment, you can also just download an app.
K-II EMF Meter
The K-II EMF meter is one of the most popular options buy. The meter is incredibly simple to read and has been used on several ghost hunting shows. There are a lot of meters that come with unnecessary additions or extra features, but the K-II Meter really gets down to what is important.
Ghost Stop describes the features of this meter, which include:
- Push Tab to Turn “On” Push Tab to Turn “Off”
- Easy to read Multi-Segment LED Display
- Detects the ELF range (50 to 1,000Hz) & VLF range (1,000 to 20,000Hz)
- Five level milliGauss ranges
- 50 & 60 Hz operation
- 9Vdc Operation
- Single Axis
- Accuracy of ±5% at 50-60Hz
- Instantaneous Response To EMF Fluctuations & Spikes
If you are looking for a reliable and simple EMF meter, this should definitely be one of your first picks.
Acoustimeter RF Meter Model AM-10
Where to Find: Amazon
I know, $370 is a lot for a little meter, but it’s worth it for this Acoustimeter. Unlike the K-II, this is not specifically made for ghost hunting. This meter was created to detect EMF in your home or in public locations where it could be a health hazard.
Because it is not originally a ghost hunting device, this makes it more convincing! There is no chance that this device will give you false detections to make it seem like there is ghost activity in an area.
Don’t let the fact that this wasn’t created for paranormal investigation deter you though. Since electromagnetic fields occur outside of paranormal situations as well, many people need trustworthy devices to keep their homes safe. The Acoustimeter successfully helps people detect EMF in their home, so it will definitely help you while investigating.
Features of the Acoustimeter include;
- fast response to EMF changes while having a low update speed, allowing you time to take note of each reading
- high sensitivity (measures from 0.01 to 6.0 V/m. Wide frequency range: 200 MHz to 8 GHz)
- 20-hour battery life
- speaker and headphone jack to ‘hear’ the energy (this is mainly used in situations where two different devices are giving off waves)
Mel EMF Meter
Chances are, you have probably seen the Mel Meter on Ghost Hunters and Ghost Adventures. Unlike the other two meters on the list, this meter tracks temperature as well. Have you ever begun an investigation and thought, how do I hold all of this? The Mel Meter will free your hands, so you don’t have to hold two different devices.
Temperature is important when detecting ghosts with EMF. For example, if you detect an energy spike with your meter and there is also a decrease (or increase) in temperature, you definitely to investigate further because there may be a ghost present. On the other hand, if there is a small spike on your meter and no change in temperature, that could just a natural EMF.
Features of this two in one device include;
- Digital EMF Readout
- Digital Ambient Temperature Readout
- Red backlight easy on the eyes for dark environments
- Red LED flashlight can be toggled on or off
- Max/Min/Hold Settings
Ultimate EMF Detector Free
Where to Find: Google Play Store
Some of these meters are a bit expensive, especially if you are just starting ghost hunting. Thankfully, technology has come far enough that you can now download EMF meter apps for your phone. The Ultimate EMF Detector Free is only available on Android, but if you have an iPhone there are still plenty of EMF meter apps!
Your phone has a magnetic sensor for the compass app, which is used when taking EMF readings. Through this, your phone can detect the energy fields and if there are any changes.
The app is also really simple to use. The meter clearly displays the reading, along with a graph of past changes. Features of this app include;
- Magnetic Field B in microTesla, Gauss and milliGauss
- Auxiliary Field H in ampere per meter
- Recorder feature. Data can now be saved live on text file for later use on a computer (this requires the permission to read and write on external storage)
- Keep screen ON button
- XYZ, max-min, and graphs.
- The classic EMF meter with the needle and LEDs
You can also download the Pro version that includes;
- No ads
- Recorder feature with timer. Data can now be saved live on text file for later use on a computer (this requires the permission to read and write on external storage)
- Sound notification for sudden EMF changes
- A few backgrounds and skins for the detector
TriField® EMF Meter Model TF2
This is more than just a simple EMF meter. All the meters on this list measure general EMF, but the Trifield EMF Meter detects the three types of EMF. Because this meter can pick up the three types of EMF, it is great for detecting ghosts that may be manipulating more than one. It’s also great for everyday use if you want to check the EMF levels around your house for safety!
The list of features on the Trifield Website is long, and they include;
- Detects all three types of EMF pollution: AC magnetic, AC electric, and RF/microwave
- Special frequency weighting mode for measuring electric current from EMF in the human body
- AC Magnetic Mode covers 40 Hz – 100 kHz with a range of 0.1 – 100.0 milligauss (mG)
- AC Electric Mode covers 40 Hz – 100 kHz with a range of 1 – 1000 volts per meter (V/m)
- RF Mode covers 20 MHz – 6 GHz with a range of 0.001 – 19.999 milliwatts per square meter (mW/m2)
- AC magnetic measurements are 3-axis, allowing for quick readings, regardless of meter orientation
- A large liquid-crystal display (LCD) for crystal clear, accurate readings
- Adjustable backlight for use in low-light environments
- Audio Indicator emits sounds that helps to pinpoint EMF sources
- Peak Hold captures fast pulses, for measuring fast digital signals
- Operates for more than 20 hours on a 9V battery, with a low battery indicator
Overall, there are plenty of great EMF Meters out there. You don’t even need one that is specifically made for paranormal investigations! EMF meters have a wide range of uses, so you really just need one that will provide accurate readings.
Remember that although there are only five on this list, there are plenty more if none of these options interest you. The five above are some of the most popular options with great reviews on the internet, but you can still make your own decision on what you think the best is.
Now that you know all about EMF and some great meters, you can start your investigation fully prepared!